Monday, June 15, 2009


So I'm more into making cupcakes and cookies, but ever since I started working with fondant (which was what, a good week ago?) I've been wanting to try covering a cake with fondant. This past weekend a good friend asked if I'd make a cake for her and her husband's 5th wedding anniversary so I took on the fondant challenge!

She just wanted a small cake that at least sort of resembled her wedding cake but she wasn't picky at all and would have gone for either fondant or icing. That was nice because I wasn't sure how the fondant was going to turn out since I'd never covered a cake in fondant before. I figured if I tried it and it didn't work, I'd just use white buttercream. Her original wedding cake was white fondant-covered tiers with pink ribbon, draped fondant and some piping. She provided the ribbon and the flowers and the rest was up to me.

The tiers didn't come out perfectly smooth but I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the draped fondant looked, especially since I hadn't originally planned on doing that. I can't wait to get back in the kitchen and try some more! So here is the cake...



This was a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream filling and vanilla fondant. No chocolate because her daughter does NOT like chocolate!

Decorating tunes were mostly nothing this time, but I turned on a few Hanson songs towards the end.

-J

3 comments:

  1. That cake is amazing!! I was going to ask you if you make those too... Because I watched that awesome TLC Cake show & they seem to make a lot of those fondant covered cakes.

    Sorry I missed Book Club, I had to take my dog to the vet, he needed shots & had an ear infection. We're planning in going next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dana! Will you shoot me an e-mail if you read this? I lost your phone number when I got a new phone and we missed you at story time (poor Ace!). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake looks very elegant. I too, am excited about doing my first fondant covered cake! Now I just need some sort of special occasion where I have an excuse to try :)

    ReplyDelete